Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Adopted Some Orphans

The sale table at the Mennonite Quilt Auction in Kidron on Saturday was terrific! So today is "Show 'n' Tell" (wasn't that always your favorite day at school??)
Besides piles and piles of fabric, doilies, linens, patterns, yarn etc, there were baskets and baskets of vintage quilt blocks. These came home with me.

I adopted some orphans.. (notice the incredible price!)
These were all 11"-12" blocks, and here are just some of my favorites...

Not sure what I'll do with them yet, but they certainly have found a loving home. Does anybody have any suggestions??

Below is a bag of blocks made from triangles. Some of them were partially taken apart.. all of them were sewn very crooked. I am going to leave all the triangles in their family here.. even though they are obviously from at least 5 different decades. But they are going to be taken apart and put together differently. When I get a little further along I'll show you. This bag was $1

Then there were two stacks of very old 9 patch blocks. Double pinks and indigos, which probably date to the late nineteenth-early twentieth century. There are 14 double pinks and 6 indigos. I'm going to do something with the whole lot of them together.. just not sure what yet.


Some more 9 patch blocks.. from the 50's with fabrics also from the 30's. But a quilt is only as old as it's newest fabric.

Here are some more really cute triangle blocks. I just love the fabrics in these. Click and you can see them better. There are two with little tea pots.. just adorable!
I did get some other stuff too. A pattern booklet with several patterns, but I'm showing the one for "Orange Peel". I think some also call it "Parcheesi". I have made this one before, only doing it as an applique, not pieced. I might try piecing it sometime. Also a pattern for these cute cushions out of gingham.. remember those? My grandma had them on her couch.
And rolls of fabric. Most of it about a dollar a yard.

I saved these star blocks for last, because they are my favorites!

I'm having too much fun playing with them. But the week is rolling along, and lots of things to do.
I've been having SO much fun visiting all the blogs lately, and seeing the beautiful world on everyone's vacations!

25 comments:

Ulla said...

You have found such treasures! I'm really curious to see what you make with all this.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Your orphans have found a loving home for sure! Beautiful...oh I can't wait to see what you do with all the beautiful blocks!

Darlene said...

Incredible treasures have made their way home for you to just own and love. :-)

annemariesquilt said...

You have made some great shopping and I am very curious : what are you going to make from these blocks??
There were some very nice fabrics as well.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant shopper you are to find these fantasic quilt blocks! Your favorites are the ones I like best too! Will you make a quilt, maybe you will make some bags or table runners or purses?
~Emily

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant shopper you are to find these fantasic quilt blocks! Your favorites are the ones I like best too! Will you make a quilt, maybe you will make some bags or table runners or purses?
~Emily

Katie said...

What a treasure trove! How lucky you are. :-)

Purple and Paisley said...

oh my! what beautiful treasures, eileen! wow! we have a mennonite auction near here, too...arthur, il is home to one of the largest amish/mennonite communities in illinois and it is only about 45 minutes from me...their next auction is now on my list of things to do! i love all of your treasures...=)

Nanette Merrill said...

You must have some angel that points you in the right direction. Sometimes when good things happen I say "I'm living right!" But we both know thats not true. But maybe for you it is! Lovely lovely blocks. They all have a story. Don't you wonder sometimes about the stories behind the orphans? I'm sure you do too. This is exciting. I can't wait to see what you do with them. They are so lovely to look at. I'd be admiring them and wouldn't be able to stop.

Unknown said...

what an amazing find! How many ideas are running through your head!!! I bet you play with them a bit longer before launching into making something gorgeous with them all.

rachel griffith said...

love your orphans.
i agree about the stars, they are my fav too.

lucky gal you are with all those finds.

:O)

Unknown said...

Hello Eileen, wow..that's a lot of quilt. So, people sell them in loose form and we can buy them in batches and make up one big quilt, is my understanding correct? How fun, I'll buy all these and just join them together without going through the hassle of making individual ones. What cool idea..never knew that was possible. You have a wonderful week ahead..though its midweek now and I am yearning for weekends. That's how to live, yearn for all my weekends :D big hugs :O

Nedra said...

What amazing finds! And I can hardly believe the prices. You really know how to shop. I always wish I had people like you to go with me when I go to places like the auction. You seem to have "radar".

Joanna said...

Ooooh I am so jealous! What wonderful finds. I can just see some of these being framed on a wall - or framed and sold on Etsy!! So much you could do with them. Priceless treasures:)

Des said...

*crying....sobbing....eyes green with envy*

WOW. Can I say wow?

*not fair....not fair....not fair*

ranette said...

I love the star blocks too!!! I can't wait to see what you make with all of the blocks!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Eileen,
What a beautiful collections of old blocks- I am like some of the others - pea green with envy at the prices. You sure know how to pick them - I will look forward to seeing how you use the orphan blocks and turn them into some great quilted things.

Regards from a western Canadian Quilter,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Hi Eileen- what treasure! Love them! Can't wait to see your ideas in pics. So many fabric designs and colours. Well done!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I believe that these were meant to come home with you. You are going to have so much fun with these. How about making up some pillows with some of them? Or even incorporate a block into a tote bag. You are uber talented and I know you will come up with something beautiful.

BTW, the little girl vase was next door. When I go back, and if she is a pink skirt, she is home with me and then off to you. I find those girls every so often and I know I will find one for you.

hugs,
Becky

Tine said...

What incredible treasures!
I am sure these blocks have found a good home with you. Now they can stop being UFOs and become part of a quilt!

Ginger Patches said...

OH. MY. GOSH. I am totally moving to Ohio!!! I can't believe all the amazing blocks...I'm just the teensiest bit green right now :)

Days and colors said...

You know I love your great found!
The stars are also my favorite!
Take a look at this great blog
http://orphantrainsfromfinn.blogspot.com/
She a lot of ideas for orphan blocks!
Have fun!

Dionne said...

I must admit, I am extremely jealous of all your wonderful finds. But all the same, I'm happy for you! How wonderful for us that you were willing to share with lots of yummy pictures!

I do hope you keep us all updated as to what you do with them.

Cheers,
Dionne

Kim said...

wow that's some haul you got there. Lucky person you are. THey're wonderful.

Amanda Jean said...

those last stars are my favorite, too!