Friday, October 31, 2008

The End of October and More Pinwheels

Last day of October. This is probably the brightest my burning bush is going to get this year.. and I said I would show it so here it is.
Most of the flowers in the yard are done.. but the geranium on the porch is still very pretty..
Here are some more pinwheels. The biggest challenge I am finding with these is that the triangles were already cut out before, and many of them are not on the straight of the fabric.. OR on the bias. Some are just skewed every which way.. which makes sewing them together very interesting. I am determined to use most of the pieces that were in the original stack of blocks, even the ones made out of questionable fiber content.. no matter how quirky it might turn out..









This was one I had done before.. but I took out the one flowered triangle and replaced it with another paisly.


A few more were made since this batch, and I have a dozen left to put together. Then I need to decide how they will go together. I'll have 42 5.5" blocks. And enough odd triangles to make a nice flying geese border. So I am debating on sashing or no sashing. It depends on how they look once laid out.. and how big it ends up being. I don't need a king-size!
Hope you all have a lovely day.

22 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Your bush is beautiful and I love the blocks, they look great can't wait to see what you decide to do with them! Happy Hallowee!!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Wow Eileen they're so pretty. Your comment section is different, did you know this?

quiltingnana said...

great pinwheels. I am anxious to see them all put together. I, too, have been working with some vintage fabric and blocks and find the quirky ways things were done. But that is what makes it fun and so exciting...the quilt police must not have been organized then

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh eileen....this is going to be a great quilt!!!!.. the 20 something yr. old quilt i just finished hand quilting also had some questionable fabric...in fact a couple of squares already seem to have worn spots...i dabbed those spots with fray chek and i'll hope for the best.....the colors in your squares are great!!

Beth at Aunties said...

Beautiful pinwheel blocks!!!
I wanted to share with you what happened through the summer stash quilt challenge. I became accquainted with and found a cousin. Nannette and daughters are my second cousins.. Actually it was my daughter Natalie, from Home Sweet Hideaway, who discovered we too were from the family line. It is a small world and I want to say Thank You for bringing us together!:)
Have a wonderful fall,
beth

Unknown said...

You are soooo prolific with the pinwheels!! They are looking fantastic. I can't wait to see more... Go Girl!!

Rebecca said...

cute pinwheels. you've got me in the mood to make some. i have a pinwheel quilt pattern that i took out and read through last night, actually. interesting how we may be on the same wavelength.

Ulla said...

You have made very beautiful colour combinations! Your burning bush looks great, we have only bare trees and bushes now.
Have a nice weekend!

DollZandThingZ said...

Great looking pinwheels! Love those vintage fabrics, too. This will be an interesting beautiful quilt. Don't you wish you knew the person who started them?!

Betsy said...

more loveliness. Can't wait to see how they all look together. I love the colors on the tree

Nanette Merrill said...

First of all now I know you can make anything out of anything! I love them. The fabric is fabulous, of course!! But your stitching is the best I have ever seen. Seriously. It is perfection. Your points are supurb. I don't even know if I spelled that right. I never use that word. Eileen - they are breathtaking.

Nedra said...

You've been tagged Eileen! See my latest post

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Eileen! How was your Halloween?
It looks like you have been SEW busy!
Love the pinwheels!!!!! Cannot wait to see the
finished quilt. You are just so very talented!!

xoxo
Becky

em's scrapbag said...

What a beautiful bush. Can't tell you enough how sweet your pinwheels are. This is going to be a lovely quilt!

Tine said...

I like those pinwheels so much! How big are they?

Jean said...

Pinwheels are great!!!

Threeundertwo said...

Wow, that burning bush is just glorious and the pinwheels are such a labor of love. I might lean towards sashing, but that's me. Can't wait to see what you do with them!

Heleen said...

Now you have been busy! this is going to be a great quilt!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have a porch!

You're doing a marvelous job Eileen on making those odd shapes into something which will proudly be kept as an heirloom. Who knows perhaps some of them are the only bits of fabric left of that design. I am so proud of you. Hugs!

Miri said...

More great pinwheels! Your bush is really beautiful.

annemariesquilt said...

Your pinwheels are so lovely, it is so special that you uses "old" fabrics.
It must be a lot of work but I understand that you enjoy it....
Take care Eileen!!

Ginger Patches said...

You're doing a great job on those pinwheels--I love them!!