I debated on sashing in-between each block.. many of you suggested it. But I also liked the look of them all together close. And since I was able to make just enough contrasting dark and light pinwheels..(you don't think I planned that.. do you?).. I decided to go with them this way. I added one more row to my original 42 blocks because it didn't seem proportionate. So now it measures small.. like a lap quilt if I leave it just like this. However...
I had quite a few triangles left from the original blocks that I picked apart that simple did not go together at all to make pinwheels. So from the beginning I had in mind to make a flying geese border...This will make it measure approximately 42"x60".
I am really excited to see how this turns out. But I'm not looking forward really to making the geese. I can't line them up and sew them in any kind of fast and speedy way since they are already cut. I am going to have to cut all the little white triangles and sew them on. Unless someone has a better way. Please let me know if you do! But something to note.. these triangles left over are even worse as far as size and shape than the ones I've already sewn.. and those were pretty bad. They are going to take a lot of fiddling to get them to line up straight. But I think I can do it.
Now you need to go over and look at Terri's new livingroom carpet. :-)
And oh.. one more thing.. this was my Cotoneaster and Seargent Crab bush in the back yard today. I was pleasantly surprised to see them so colorful in the late afternoon sun...

30 comments:
I love that quilt so much!! I am a big fan of pinwheels. I vote (even if you did not ask) no sashing, LOVE IT!!!!!!
This is so pretty. I know you want to use the leftover triangles, but I would be tempted to start over with rectangles & make the flying geese from scratch. lol
I love your pinwheels! Great colours. I have often made flying geese blocks by paper piecing them. I make them in long strips the length of the paper, Then I tape the papers together to make the blocks the required length. They turn out completely straight that way.
Hello Eileen, when I saw it in batches..I thought it would be nice but when its all sewn up, its really something else. It's beautiful!! What are you going to do with this quilt? That Crab bush has a vibrant colour...love it :D
Oh those pinwheels are great, and they look wonderful set together like that! Great colors.
It looks great! I love the pinwheels together like that! And the flying geese will add a perfect finishing touch, it will be awesome!!!
However, I can totally understand why you don't want to piece them all... Is it possible to foundation piece them? Maybe draw 4-5 flying geese on paper(or muslin) and sew them that way? I have no idea if that would work, but why not??? And it would save you a lot of measuring and cutting little snippets off of itty-bitty fabric pieces!
It looks so wonderful, Eileen! What a fine work you have done, it is amazing! The border with Flying Geeese is perfect, and I understand it means a lot of work again. I thought of foundation piecing too. I hope you will find a solution that suits your needs. Thanks for your kind words, they do support me.
This is so beautiful! I'm completely inspired and just love the flying geese border! I'm afraid I can't think of any short cut techniques - one of those moments when I wonder what was I THINKING as I sit and sew one tinsy piece to another :-)
so lovely... oh my!
Eileen that is one gorgeous quilt! Your patience and unpicking paid off BIG time. Will you hand quilt it when the top is done?
The quilt is so beautiful. It's going to be awesome with the flying geese border.
The pinwheels look great! It will be such a cheerful quilt--and nostalgic looking, too. This will be a very special quilt!
The pinwheels look just perfect without sashings! Paper-piecing the flying geese sounds good. What if you cut strips in the correct height and cut the extra triangle away after sewing the coloured fabric and the strip together? And then cut the strip length to meet the width of the border.
you pinwheels are fabulous! the solids add so much beauty...great job! and thank you so much for the link...you're a great friend...=)
Great job at taking not so great looking blocks and making GREAT looking ones! It's going to be beautiful. And, I really love the idea of a flying geese border, if you can do it.
the pinwheels look awesome. Was it a lot of work matching them up?
Wow your pinwheel quilt are so lovely and the colours are just great. The flying geese border will be perfect. I can't wait to see this quilt finished...
Love the pinwheels. The flying geese border is going to be perfect for finishing it up.
Whatever you choose will be maravellous!
Your pinwheels came out great Eileen! It's going to be a beautiful lap quilt! :0)
I love your pinwheels and the flying geese are going to be just the right touch.
I was thinking of how gorgeous this quilt was going to be and then I saw the triangles all laid out for the border! It just went crazy gorgeous! Piecing the geese will be a pain in the keister but it's going to be such a special quilt. x
ooooo eileen....i LOVE them close together with NO sashing......flying geese goes perfect.......who knew the pile you started out with would end up THIS FABULOUS!!!
I, too, love the pinwheels without sashing and I love the flying geese border.
Good luck on making the flying geese. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if you make a couple and they don't turn out, then I would make more. You went to too much trouble (time well spent *S*) for the borders not to be like you want them. The flying geese add a lot to the overall look, so I would start over (making more) if they aren't working out.
It's beautiful!
I love your pinwheels! Can't wait to see it with the border - I think the flying geese will look wonderful with it. What a great use of scraps. Its so cheery.
Well I'm glad you are putting the pinwheels together because I love it like that. This is going to be such a special quilt. You may want to hang it somewhere in your house. It isn't a quilt I'd fold and put away for sure!
Oh Eileen I just love it! Those geese are going to look great...I don't envy you making geese with difficult triangles though! You have way more patience than me lol!
The pinwheels all sewn together are wonderful. I love block to block quilts. I like the look of the flying geese border-wish I had a quicky tip but just think-a vintage top sewn the vintage way :)
It looks perfect without the sashing! And the flying geese are going to be wonderful. You have a good eye.
Wow! Your pinwheel quilt is so beautiful! Such a lot of work, but so worth it!
Post a Comment