skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Not Too Hard Cabbage Bundles
I think this will be the first time since I started blogging that I gave a recipe. Honestly the kitchen is not my favorite room in the house. Except for putting cute things on the shelves. But cooking and eating are necessities.. so I try to do my best. The family loves these "Pigs In A Blanket" as sometimes they are called.. so I make them every so often. My recipe isn't really very fancy. I'm sure you can make this dish a lot spicier if you used your own taste. But I pretty much make it from this cookbook.
Here is the recipe page scanned out of the book. I will note the changes that I make along the way..
Ok.. so I don't know how you all cook your rice, but I like doing mine in the microwave. You need a cup of cooked rice here, so I measure a half cup of rice and a cup of water into this medium sized corningware dish..
..put the lid on and cook on high for 3 minutes. Then at 50% power for about 17 minutes. This will make one cup when it's done. (yes, that is a dinner plate in there.. because the real plate that came with the oven broke a while back.. long story.. anyways..)
While the rice is cooking, I get the cabbage ready. You do NOT need a whole head. I peel off six of the outside leaves.. not the first couple because they are sometimes pretty horrible.. and put them in a big pot of boiling water. Sometimes the leaves are hard to get off the head, so I will run the whole thing under hot water, coaxing the leaves off from the bottom.. gently so they don't tear. If they do tear, as you see one did here, that's ok. It will still work.
I boil them for a minute or two, then take them out with a slotted spoon and set them in the clean sink to wait the next step.
Now I mix up my sauce. The recipe says just one can of undiluted tomato soup, but my family likes it a little saucier. So I pour the can of soup in a bowl and rinse it out with about a half a can of V8 juice..or maybe a little more. I just stir the juice into the soup.
By now the rice is done. So I take it out of the microwave and add two tablespoons of butter..(they call it fat in the recipe), salt, pepper, and instead of onions because I have one picky selective eater who doesn't like crunching into the onions, I use about a teaspoon of onion powder, and the raw ground meat. I put a little more than a half a pound in.. because it makes it better. (I really do NOT like this next picture.. who really likes to see a blob of raw meat?!)
I stir this all up.. like this..
.. then divide it in 6 sections and spoon one section into each cabbage leaf. Oh.. I forgot to say, I spray another cooking dish.. the next size up in my corningware, with cooking spray. This is what they will bake in.
Roll up the leaf and place it with the open end tucked underneath.. like this..
I don't ever seem to need to tie them or put toothpicks in. They stay rolled by themselves.
Then I pour my soup mixture on top and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. I start with the lid on, then take it off about halfway through, baste the bundles, then leave the lid off..
..they brown up that way..
Serve them with a spoonful of sour cream. They go good with applesauce and rolls.
16 comments:
YUM!
Ok, I love cabbage rolls, but have never made them because I thought they would be very time consuming to make. I think I was wrong! I am so totally going to try your recipe. Thanks!
Becky @ http://www.quiltspotsandyarn.blogspot.com
Oh delicious! And I just made homemade applesauce yesterday.
My mom used to make these and my dad called them by the old fashioned name. I have made them too but it has been a while. It really is a good dinner. I have great memories of eating these. Yummy.
hey..that looks yummy. i am not big in the kitchen either. i would rather be doing other things..
I think the cooking of the whole cabbage head and peeling the hot leaves and continuing cooking and peeling and making the whole cabbage into 25 to 30 rolls was my main problem! We usually sprinkle the rolls with brown sirup; your tomato version loks delicious.
Looks just great , i might just try this one but I guess I will have to make more than 6.....
Thanks for the recepy.
Thank you so much for blogging these! I have never made them and now I feel like I can because the instructions were so clear. My family is getting these soon!
those look rreally good. I like the nostalgia of the cookbook.
yum, those look wonderful. i love cabbage.
Those look so delicious Eileen! Years ago a Jordanian friend made "stuffed vine leaves" with a lamb filling in a similar way. They are one of my fav unusual foods. I love sour cream and tomato flavours together. Thanks so much for sharing that gorgeous looking book.
My family will love this recipe for sure!! I remember having it as a child, thanks for the walk down memory lane. Although I don't remember the cookbook, looks like a real classic!
i don't know if i have ever seen just 6 of these in a pot. mostly when i see them there are 3 or 4 large pans of them. i might try this with leftovers. so i can enjoy them w/o being at a party.
Thank you for sharing the recepy. The dish looks really good.
Millie
YUMMO! I am gonna give them a try!!
thanks!!
xo
Becky
that is the most gorgeous looking cookbook - what fabulous illustrations!
Post a Comment