This is my original Little Golden Book from 1951. I have never seen it recopied, (has anyone)?? I wanted to include the inside cover of the book, because I really love the old way they used to be. Mine has lost its back cover.. boo-hoo!
The first page was already shown yesterday, so I'll now get along with the story. Totally NOT all the pictures from the book. I only copied most of them -not all, and only put part of them here. But if you want to see the rest I have, you can do that by going to my Flickr set.
I think the reason I always liked this story so much was because I grew up in a family of six children with little money. We lived out of the garden, so this was just like our daily lives in the summertime.


I used to have nightmares about this creature.
Go here for the rest.

9 comments:
I love vintage illustrations. I'm going to post some of my own this week on my blog, too, just not sure what day yet. I have to look for some really good ones. My mother-in-law was a teacher and gave me lots of her books from the 50s-70s. There are some darling illustrations in them.
Love it. I wish I could find fabric like the pics you posted. That would be so fun.
Oooh, I can see why that "raba-mole" gave you nightmares. Even it's name is scary!!!!!! Gorgeous story though, and I love the illustrations :)
The story and the images are so exactly what its like to garden, love "the round wrinkled pea seeds". This is so beautiful and gentle, except the scary creature - not surprised it gave you nightmares!
Wow! I have heaps of Golden Books - but i have never seen this one! It's lovely! But yes.. very scary creature worthy of nightmares! Thank you for showing us this one - it's a treasure!
I havent seen this one before either. It looks very special. And I agree about the inside covers, they were so lovely.
ive never seen this either - its great though, my son would love it - he is so into gardening ever since my parents started a vege patch!!
Hi, I have this in french...yummy...
The Golden Books seem to have a tendency to lose their back covers! The type of binding is not what it should be for a childrens' book. The pictures are lovely and the raba-mole is too scary indeed.
just so lovely. I love the summer picture:)
Post a Comment