Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oldest UFQ

So I decided to play along with Julie over at JulieKQuilts. She challenged us to dig out our oldest UFQ (UnFinishedQuilt). It sounded like fun!
I have several, and I'm not sure how old this one will actually is. I was not the one who started it. I bid $1 for a box-lot of fabric scraps in October 2003 at an auction and won. To my delight when I got it home and started digging through it, I found this quilt that begged to be finished. So technically it was only mine for 4 1/2 years. But someone else obviously started it long before me. The petals and circles were all cut out and basted around the edges in black or red thread to applique Dahlia patches. This was a pattern I know was popular in the 1930's, but the fabrics are definitely early 1970's, maybe a few 60's. I found at least one set of petals in a 30's print. I've been sewing them on and off since. It was tons of fun matching the patches together. I had to cut the 12" white squares. And I think I should have made them a little larger so that I could add stems. But I got too many of them done before I realized this. This is how I pin them onto the blocks. I found this old box that they all fit into perfectly.
There are enough petals for 42 blocks. Without sashing, that will make a 72"x84" quilt.. which is just right for my small quilting frame. I really don't like to make them too much bigger, because I do all my quilting by hand, and it does take a long time. Plus I do like smaller quilts.
I have 17 blocks done so far, not counting the one I have pinned. I know this is only 12 showing.. but it was starting to get too long to lay out.
I even have the backing.. found it at a rummage sale. Isn't this stuff terrific? it fits in the box too.

Maybe you would like to join in?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What gorgeous quilt blocks! Just wanted to let you know that I gave you the "You Make My Day" award. You can come to my blog and pick it up! I'm just enjoying your blog so much!

Locket Pocket said...

That is beautiful - what wonderful fabrics! Lucy x

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my gosh I love them. LOVE. They are so so cute. 70s fabrics are so "it" right now. How wonderful it will be. A work of art.

annemariesquilt said...

These block realy great and I love them. Looks like a lot of work....
The fabrics is just right and I will be back to chech how this is turning out.

Dana said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love these!!! And, that backing fabric is killer!!!! Are you sure you don't want to part with it all? Cause I would give it a wonderful home!!!!

No. Seriously.

corry said...

What a beautiful blocks, I love those fabrics! This will be a gorgeous quilt when it's finished!

Eileen said...

Wow.. I guess I better work on it now. Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, and the award Bettsi, that is sweet.

Dana.. you so crack me UP.