Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mother Goose

In case you are just tuning in, I'm playing a little blog game this week with some of the other fun folks who have collections of vintage children's literature. If you'd like to join, I think there is still time. Just go on over to "meet me at mikes" for the directions.
Today combines two of my favorites in one. Mother Goose and one of my very favorite artists Fern Bisel Peat. Her whimsical drawings have always fascinated me. I adore the expressions she puts into her characters. And don't you love the way she "draws" fabric? Lots of her pictures are filled with printed colorful calico.
This copy is from 1932.
Of course click on any picture to see them more clearly.

These Eleven Elephants are too funny.





7 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

Gorgeous illustrations! You have such beautiful books!

corry said...

What a lovely childrens books, you've got quite some collection!

Anonymous said...

these are so beautiful. I've never seen them before, I love the animals made of gingham!

Bird Bath said...

How lovely...Little Bo-Peep looks gorgeous.Yes the fabric/pattern is beautifully detailed.

Sherrin said...

I love the last picture in particular, great choice!

(and lol at your link - this is kinda how I read it- 'meet meat mikes' ;o) )

Eileen said...

whew! Thanks Sherrin. I didn't have it quite like that, but I did have the spelling wrong, (sorry Pip!).. it is fixed now.

Anastasia said...

Just beautiful!!!