Sunday, April 5, 2009

Easter Dress

In your Easter bonnet,
With all the frills upon it,
You'll be the grandest lady
In the Easter parade.

-Irving Berlin 1933

I don't ever really remember wearing an Easter bonnet. A little wired lacy thing was as close as it got. This is me when I was two.
What I really fancied though was a little purse. It always held a handkerchief. I wish I could remember this scottie dog. Here is is in another picture..

Wonder what happened to that little purse? I have tried to find a replacement to no avail.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyways. This is Easter morning a couple years later. New pink dress with smocking, a little brother, new purse, but no bonnet whatsoever.

I definitely remember this purse. It was plastic with blue and peach colored foam strips woven through it, and foam flowers on the front. We called it a pocketbook. Below is a better picture. I carried it a lot.. and I know I was full of remorse when it was finally so bad my mother threw it out.
Uh-oh. Two years later. Same dress! And another little brother. I also have three older brothers. So no wonder my mother stretched as many years as she could out that pink smocked dress..
Do you remember wearing anything special on Easter? A bonnet? A new dress? Did you wear a coat because it was too chilly on those early spring mornings? Wouldn't it be fun to share them with us for a couple weeks? If you would like to join in with Nanette and me, dig out those photos and scan them and post them on your blog.. tell us all about them. Include your link here with Mr Linky at the bottom of this post, then everyone can come and see. And here is a button you can grab if you want to use it to link back here. There really are no rules and this is not a contest. We just thought it would be a fun Meme for this time of year!





46 comments:

Nedra said...

I went through one box the other day and didn't find any Easter Dress pictures, but I'll pull out more boxes today. Great idea.
I love the pink smocked dress and the purses. You were a very cute 2year old! Your mother must have loved having a little girl inbetween the boys.

annemariesquilt said...

Lots of cute pictures of as a little girl. I realy loved your dresses and bags. It looks like take real good care of your brothers too!!

Rumi said...

Thanks for the peek into your past. I don't have any pics of me in spring dresses and my mother doesn't know where she stored the old albums. Too bad, I know there are a few Easter dress pictures in there.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Cute!

Messy Karen said...

great idea. i'm going to try to find as many as possible. you're so so cute. love the bags. a necessary part of the outfit.

Ulla said...

You look so cute there, with your little handbags. I'll try to find an old photo, but our pretty dress time was more likely to be end of May, when school ended.

Jean said...

This sounds like fun, my mom has all the old pictures of us at Easter in our finery...and we did have hats! I will see if I can get a couple on Easter when I go up home...love your pix!

Unknown said...

Eileen, you were just so adorable! I guess it was just tradition in your home every 2 years to add another brother too. Do you have any sisters? Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos!

Anonymous said...

Oh you look so sweet! I'd love to join in but so few photos exist of me. I'd see a camera and run.

What was it like growing up with 5 brothers?

Purple and Paisley said...

LOLOL! oh my goodness, you were an adorable little girl! thank you for making me giggle and smile...☺

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Oh yes, Easter Bonnets!!! Every year (and hand me downs - with FIVE sister). I remember the elastic thingie under your chin pinching at church and getting the LOOK from Dad if I messed with it. Love the pink smocked dress - so cute.
P.S. No photos - with NINE children, Mom didn't have time for a camera too.

jacquie said...

pretty cute photos...i think i'll try to go dig some up!

Miri said...

Adorable...we called them pocketbooks too! Your mother must have been so happy to have a girl sandwiched in there between all those boys :)

Allie said...

Look how cute you were! What adorable pics. We don't have any Easter pics of me, but I do remember the new dresses and hats. Love that Scotty purse - I'd carry that now, lol!

hetty said...

Oh so cute! I'd love to participate, but I have to figure out how the scanner works first.

Shari said...

Finding photos might be a bit tricky, but I do remember getting a hat and purse each year for a few years. My sister and I received them as a gift from my grandmother and we always looked forward to it and absolutely loved them - we felt so special.

Happy Easter!

Sandy said...

I'm heading over to my blog now to write about my black and whites! I think this is great...brought back a lot of memories (and a few tears).

Carrie P. said...

Too cute! Love those dresses and the purses. I remember those little hats to that you are wearing in the first picture. You looked like a very happy child. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

These pics of you are so cute. I remember those styles. (I even had some of those hair cuts, too). I'll have to ask my mom if she has any of my old Easter pics. By the way, I carried the traditition on with my daughter. At 4 years old, she graduated from Easter bonnets to Easter Hats. She hated the hats because I always smacked her under the chin with the elastic. Thanks for allowing me to walk down your memory lane.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

so cute! We never really took pictures, or actually dressed up at easter... Love the photos!!!

Dionne said...

How fun! I would love to play along, but I never had a pretty easter bonnet, or dress. I love your pictures and pocketbooks!
Cheers,
Dionne

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh...Oh...I remember those lacy wire headband 'thingies'. I remember wearing little white gloves and I had a little 'box' type purse that was clear plastic and was lined with white lace where you could see through it. White patten leather shoes with the white socks with lace on the cuffs. Alot of times my mother would make us matching dresses. I don't have any of those photos here!

Nanette Merrill said...

The pink smocked dress is so cute that it was great it lasted a couple years! Love the pics. That "pocketbook" - I had one too! Mine was yellow strips. Funny. I had forgotten about it. I love this. So fun to think back on Easters. I had a picture with the Easter Bunny one year but I can't find it. Oh well. I'll get mine posted and then come back and link. You have the best ideas Eileen.

Unknown said...

Hi Eileen, definitely loving this post..aw..you look so adorable when you were little, too cute :D

pratima said...

Soo cute! Love your pretty dresses and sweet little purses :D

Darlene said...

Very, very cute! I remember so many Easter dresses in my childhood. My mom would dye my socks to match my dress (taking time to sew some ruffled lace to edge, too) LOL

Mary L. said...

What fun..I'll be back to add a link. Thanks for a great idea.

Annette said...

thanks for the fun challenge. I added mine to your list. Great idea!

Momoo said...

What a neat idea. I enjoyed looking at your photos.

jen duncan said...

This pictures are the BEST!! And I was getting worried--can I assume you did eventually grow out of that dress? :-)
I'm playing along, too. Off to do my first Mr. Linky post.

Threeundertwo said...

I had that same plastic purse! I don't know if I have a picture of it though. I do have a Springtime picture of myself I could scan.

What a fun idea!

Cathy said...

Great idea! It will be fun to see all the vintage dresses. I knew there was a reason I spent two days scanning old family photos.

Susan said...

This is so much fun to see everyone dressed up for Easter. Sadly I don't have any Easter pictures but I did put up some vintage dresses when I was little.

Nedra said...

I finally found a few picutes and have mentioned you and Nanette's idea on my post tonight. Thanks for the fun.

Sherri said...

So cute!!! I finally got my picture posted...this has been really fun...thanks for the wonderful idea!

Scraps R Us said...

I just put some pictures of Easter Dress I made, back in the day. I'm the one with the big Glasses!
Love the Blog

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I have a posted a picture of me with my Easter dress - quite elegant (not).

Sue said...

Great idea, it was fun looking at everyone's sweet Easter pics!

annies home said...

I love looking at old pictures thanks for sharing

Coloradolady said...

I finally found a picture to post! Love your pictures, the one with the purse is so cute!!

Unknown said...

New here, but found you via coloradolady's blog and thought was cute and fun.

Sarah and Jack said...

Wooohooo, I finally got one scanned!

Loretta said...

Eileen, this is such an adorable idea! Please come and visit me and see my past Easter holidays, and my dresses. I didn't ever have gloves, but I did get a new dress each year, nearly always new shoes, and sometimes a new purse! And of course there was my big Easter basket! Thanks so much for the link. I love nothing better than old photos!

Linda said...

What a great idea! I had put a couple of Easter pictures on my blog last night so I put my link on. Thanks!

Linda

Tonje said...

You looked sooo cute! And what beautiful dresses you had! This was really fun to see. I'm still on holiday, but when I get home, I'll dig through my old photos and see if I can find any of me in spring dresses....

HomeMadeOriginals said...

Love all the dresses! I posted here: http://homemadeoriginals.blogspot.com
I couldn't get the "links to post" to work properly.