Thursday, January 29, 2009

Out the Window

It is a good time to stay indoors. This is the window where my Christmas tree once stood a few weeks ago..
Looks like the snow and ice is bending down our trees outside.. I hope it didn't break off the branches. In the spring, a robin or a cardinal usually builds it's nest right here and I like to watch their family through the window. They don't seem to pay any attention to me as they gather their twigs and fluff to build, then lay and hatch their eggs.

Here is another window.. it is the one I am looking out of most of the time while I'm sewing. That's the neighbor's house next door.. and my lilac bush. One of these days weeks months it will be covered with green leaves and purple buds..
But don't worry. We have come up with a solution to the snow and ice. Mr Attic is buying a snow blower today. That means it won't snow any more and we won't need it!
And here is another bright and cheerful note. A birthday present came in the mail earlier this week from my friend T at Purple&Paisly. She apologized for it being a little late.. but I love getting late birthday gifts! Especially when I am not expecting them. Thank you T! It is the sweetest angel made from a vintage quilt. So soft and pretty.. I love her. I will think of you every time I see her smiling face. You know how much I love these old fabrics.. and the quilting is wonderful!
Would you like to see what I'm working on? I can't really show much.. because we are supposed to keep it a secret.. but I'll leave you with some peeks of my Tea Swap project... I am having SO much fun...




I have put my Black and White quilt on hold for a little bit.. but I am making progress! Thanks for all the encouragement.

33 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

So glad Mr. Attic bought a snowblower. NO more snow now!

LOVE the sneak peeks. I just know it's gorgeous!!!

Pretty angel.

Sherri said...

Seems like that's the way it goes...you buy a snowblower and then no snow! Love the sneak peaks of your tea swap project...happy sewing!

Carla said...

Hooray! No more snow for you. :) That is a cute little angel. Can't wait to see more than a peek.

annemariesquilt said...

Very nice birthdaygifts and and I love your little peeks of something!!

Heleen said...

I want to see more of that tea swap!!! your new window vieuw is lovely.

Betsy said...

whatever it is coming from you will delight anyone!

Dionne said...

I love the sneaky little views! And your angel is lovely. Gifties in the mail are fabulous ~ especially the surprises, just like you said!
Cheers,
Dionne

Nedra said...

My guess is it's a teapot. Everyone else is showing theirs. I bet yours will be beautiful.

Tudy said...

I also live in Northeastern Ohio and I to am tired of all the snow. I hope him buying a snow blower will keep away the snow. It did work for 1 year when our son bought my hubby a new one. He has used it a lot this winter.

Love the angel.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love sneak peeks! Funny about the snow blower. I needed new boots and I keep thinking - don't get them this year. And it keeps snowing! Now I can't even find a pair I like. Sheesh. Thats just how it is. I love having the biggest window in the house right in my sewing room!

DollZandThingZ said...

Think you and I share the same view..frozen lilac bushes, tons of snow, and ice on everything! Only I live quite east of you in New England. Think it will ever stop snowing, tiddley-pom?

Love your gift angel and the sneak peek photos!

Carrie P. said...

Lot of sneak peeks going on. Can't wait to see the reveals.

Martha said...

Hi! I love what I saw of the black/white quilt, those blocks are a great optical illusion! I am a little tea pot sure looks cute. . .I cannot wait to see that finished!

When I saw the quilts at the antique shop I immediately thought of you! They are lovely, I wish I could own them all, there is something special about quilts, the work involved, the love, the stitches, the fabrics, designs. . .so many unsung American women artists from the past and even today, and my guess is today from all over the world. I love quilts, I only have one very old one, I should take a photo of "her", she is folded in my bedroom, oh wait, I also have an old baby quilt too, forgot about that one!

It was a beautiful day, very cold, but fun, this weekend we may be staying home, I have had a bad headache for days now, we shall see.

Thanks about my penny mat, I have started another, different style, just pennies, but cutting and sewing the circles gets boring!

When I pull out our snow blower we do not get a storm like the weather man predicts, when it is left in front of the car in the garage, then we get the storm and need to shovel the driveway to back the car out to get to the snow blower and by then we just keep on shoveling! Maybe I should just move it into the driveway!

And last, I love Lilac bushes, I have one, but for some reason I only get one bloom and that is all, in the 20 plus years I have lived here, that is all I get!

Your angel is sweet, I still have my birds on the front door, inside with a twig wreath now and some red berries, I love those birds!

Martha ☺

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

oowww what a fun sneak peek!! Illinois, does noy have the ice you do, just cold!!

Unknown said...

Its so wonderful to see the bird building a nest just outside your window. Ours do it high up on the roof so I cant see the whole process. You've been busy while hibernating in winter, that's a very colourful quilt you are making and I cant wait to see the final results! Big hugs for the weekend :D

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am so excited to see your gift! I have an old quilt and I wonder if I could make a little doll out of it! I usually need a pattern for everything though! Love your blog! You are so talented!

Browndirtcottage said...

ooouuu...your being sneeky too...I can't stand it...I've got my hands on your photos trying to open them up wide....darn, it doesn't work!

Jean said...

Oh you are so tricky....I don't want to wait! Maybe tomorrow?

Judi said...

Just found your blog and I love it! I can't believe all the snow. I think it would be great to cuddle up next to my sewing machine and sew all day when it snows outside. I love the sneak peak of the teapots. Happy Sewing!

Ulla said...

Mr. Attic seems to be like Mr. Kotkarankki: If he washes the car, there will be rain, if not, the sun will shine. If he places an order for oil for the central heating, oil prices go down as soon as we have our expensive oil. Etc.
Your sneak peeks look like a big, lovely project. Remember to take good pictures before you send it!
I love lilac bushes, but ours didn't bloom or grow so at the moment we don't have any of them. We have snow, maybe a little less than you.

Miri said...

Sweet angel... your tea swap sneak peak...hmm I'm guessing tea pots!

pratima said...

What a lovely treat it is to watch the little chicks everyday.
Nice views from the window.
Terri's angel is so so cute!
Loving the sneak peaks ;)

LAPPEQURI said...

Lovely angel:-)
Have a great and creative weekend

Days and colors said...

Lovely sneak peaks!!! You got a very sweet angel! I have a little something for you on my blog!

Tonje said...

How exciting with the sneak peaks... it looks great... can't wait to see more.

We've got plenty of snow here too... but since we're in a flat at the moment, we don't have to showel the snow ourselves...

Unknown said...

We have house finches that build a nest in my hanging baskets on my front porch in the summer. They are also right outside my window and I love to watch them. The best part is watching the babies hatch and fly off when they are able.

I also have a beautiful lilac bush outside my living room window it is the most lovely and fragrant when it is blooming. I just love it!

What a wonderful gift from Terri. The quilt on the body is just so perfect. A wonderful gift for you who is a lover of vintage things.

Your teapot is looking fantastic. I wish I could see more than just the sneak peeks. I have to get started on mine soon.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend and that Mr. Attic doesn't have too much of a need for the snow blower.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

You poor girl! I guess I am spoiled not having snow where I live in California. Although, my mom is packed in where she lives up north.

Looks like you are one busy girl!! Great tea pot pattern!!

LOVE the little angel!! What a sweet gift.

xoxo
Becky

Ulla said...

Hi Eileen, there is a new award for you (that I have not given you before, it means) on my blog!

Threeundertwo said...

Hee hee, isn't it true that if you buy a new tool you suddenly wont need it!

Stay cozy - looks like great weather for stitching.

Anonymous said...

The snow is so pretty. I wish it snowed more here... The tea swap peeks look amazing! x

Anonymous said...

Hia Eileen, what a lovely angel. Gorgeous sneak peaks too. I will have to tease you too. :-)

We have snow here at the moment! It is so rare for it to settle here on the coast. I think it's because of my raspberry ripple new coat. Needless to say because it's snowed all over -just a few cms the country has ground to a stop! LOL

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Hi Eileen--

Thanks for the blog note and visit! I always love hearing from you.

Ooooohhhh--Can't wait to see that teapot quilt! I'm afraid you're much more exciting than me!

Please keep in touch---

Carrie P. said...

Hey Eileen,
Are you doing okay? Have missed you.