Thursday, November 6, 2008

Goodies2

oops..sorry for two posts in one day.. but did you hear that gasp?



I think this is the best piece of fabric I have every found. Everything in this bag is folded up and taped together so you can't see what is in the bundle sometimes. So when I opened that Dutch fabric, I literally sucked in all the air in the room. I had NO idea what all the pictures were. Look at the colors and thegraphics. It measures 34' across and is 34" long. I will never EVER cut it.

I'll show more stuff later on.. but for some reason..(Mr Attic being on vacation for one).. things keep popping up and stopping me from my DUTIES today.

And oh.. about the burning of the fabric.. in the other post you can click that link..(the letters in orange..) and it takes you to an good explanantion. But in a nutshell, it is simply taking a few strands of thread from the fabric and holding it into a flame to see how it reacts. If it burns nice and fast and clean with a powdery ash when you blow it out, then it is a natural fiber. If it has a hard black ash, then it is synthetic or is blended with a synthetic.

Ok.. I am only about half way through the bag.. most of this stuff is wrapped up in big bundles with a lot of scraps, lots of tape, and a label that says "scraps- 50 cents". That Dutch fabric was 50 cents. I simply cannot believe it! I have to look at that again...



23 comments:

Betsy said...

It is too beautiful not to use. Use it as the center piece of your next quilt then you will not have to cut it.

Purple and Paisley said...

yipes...all the air was sucked out of my room, too! gasp! it's gorgeous! =)

Coloradolady said...

Oh, man. Frame that as art. Wonderful fabric and a steal of a price. Love it!

SG said...

Beautiful!
(If you want, there is something for you in my blog...)

Christina said...

I'd have a hard time cutting this. I'm green!!

Unknown said...

Oh Eileen, such a BEAUTIFUL fabric, I dont think I;ll ever cut it for sure. I love the vibrant colours. What are planning to do with it? cant wait to see :D

quilterpolly said...

wow did you hit the lottery today with that bag of goodies:) how lucky you are:)

Abby and Stephanie said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is an amazing, beautiful piece of fabric. I'm sure you can't take your eyes off of it. Thanks for the burning info.

Rebecca said...

OMG, i love it, too. that's the most awesome fabric i've seen in some time. lucky, lucky you!!

Tonje said...

What a treasure! It must have been so much fun unpacking that bag of goodies.

Miri said...

Fantastic fabric-I have a '40s tablecloth from my Mom with similiar windmills but this fabric has a whole town! Can't wait to see what else is lurking in that bag-you are so lucky :)

Nanette Merrill said...

Well I did the same thing - sucked in and said "ohhh my". I've never ever in my life seen anything like it. Ever. In all my travels of vintage fabric on Ebay and any web site. I would say that fabric is valued at at least $100.00. It is really amazing. I wouldn't cut it either. How could you? The whole thing knits together to form a story. There must be some way to display it or look at it though.

DollZandThingZ said...

Wow! What a great find! Fabulous fabric!!

Lily Boot said...

Oh my goodness - don't apologise! That fabric is gorgeous! It's just made my morning looking at all those lovely lovely pictures! Lucky you :-)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

ENVY ENVY ENVY!!!!!!!
you lucky duck.

Tine said...

WOW! That IS the most beautiful fabric ever! And I am so happy it lives with you, knowing you will treasure it always ;-)

Ulla said...

I'm so glad it was you who got to buy this lovely fabric! Someone else could have thought less of it and cut it in small pieces or thougth the pattern is too big for quilting and just dumped the whole piece :-(. It has luckily found a good and loving home!
I wish I could have been there with you, but on the other hand ... I was looking for my Christmas fabrics yesterday and I thought I need to use some fabrics, soon, before there is no place to move between the fabric boxes and plastic bags.

pratima said...

Wow, the colors and the images, so beautiful!

Threeundertwo said...

I would just put a border around it and quilt it! It's delicious!

annemariesquilt said...

Yes I did hear all the way here in Norway, he he..
Beautiful fabric and only 50 cent, wow...
You cannot cut in this fabric or can you?

Anonymous said...

Adorable fabric! I couldn't cut into it either.

Browndirtcottage said...

oh.........um.......excuse me while i get up.....i just fainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Messy Karen said...

it's an amazing piece of fabric. i'm afraid to say you should use it for a back. so i won't.