Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Delightful Package & UnWonky Triangles

I really should be working on other things, but these little triangles have been so calling to me since I started on them. If you have just joined, I got these in a bag along with some other vintage quilt blocks at a sale in August. They were sewn into blocks that I think were supposed to be pinwheels, but they were so crooked on account of the triangles being all different sizes, and no real pattern as far as fabric prints, it was hard to tell what they were supposed to look like. Many of the blocks were already partially taken apart, so I just kept right on going. I finally got them all picked apart, and now I am sorting them and figuring out what to do.
My goal is to keep as many of the original triangles as possible.. but make them work together.. Un-Wonkily. I matched up enough big and small, print and solid, to make 42 double pinwheel blocks.

And by adding some white of my own, and a few more triangles cut from my own vintage solids, I think I'll be able to come up with a small quilt with pinwheels in the middle, and flying geese along the borders. Two pinwheels got put together last evening. They are about 6 1/4" square, so finished they will be 5 3/4".

The rest of them will make flying geese to go around the edges..
These are the solids from my stash that I'm going to add to make some of the pinwheels...

And I really can't believe how nice other people are, and how lucky I am to meet them. I came across a new blog "I Love Retro Things" through Vintage Thursday Things that I started doing a few weeks ago, so of course I signed it because we like to comment on blogs, right? Didn't even realize she was giving something away and that by signing I had entered the drawing. But that was the case, and I won! This is the package that came in the mail yesterday. How could I open it and tear the butterflies..??

I live in the US, and this came all the way from New Zealand.. so this is a very special treat. And pretty stuff!
A candle, some tea in a pretty card, Cadbury Milk Chocolate to have with it!..yum! a hand polished sea shell, a silk tissue cover to take along in my purse.. (I will USE this!), and a journal! I am so delighted with everything. Thank you so much Amy!

~~~~~~


You would think that after writing over 100 posts, I would be getting speedier at this, but I'm not. It simply takes me forever to gather my thoughts, take pictures, remember everything I want to say and show, and then write it all here. Does anyone else have trouble with this? Probably not. I am just slow. Some blogs I read are SO good.. funny and witty and full of things to think about. I do think about things all day long, and tell myself.. "Oh.. I will say that in my next blog, that is so funny".. or "..meaningful." But then I get here and most of it is all gone. And by the time I'm done writing nothing, my day is gone too. Oh well.. I guess I won't worry about it, and leave the wit to others. :-)




Ulla is a sweet one. Not that I really "collect" badges.. but I thought this was so sweet of her to notice I didn't have this one yet, and sent it to me.

I like that it says "Must See".. not must read. VERY appropriate.. and true. Thank you Ulla! :-D There aren't any rules to this one, so I am going to pass it along to these folks... because they truly are good reads IMO...
Musings From My Soul
A Simple Quilter
Lit and Laundry (a MUST READ)
and Freda's Hive

13 comments:

Ginger Patches said...

I love your triangles!! What a lot of work but so worth it.

Threeundertwo said...

Those pinwheel blocks are perfect! Such a great way to show off the fabrics.

Thank you so much for the badge! It looks like a retro TV. We used to have one with antennas like that.

Gracie said...

I just love your pinwheel blocks. Way to go! I'm also a lover of anything retro.

Betsy said...

I love the triangles!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pinwheels Eileen. That quilt is going to look wonderful and so special.

Congratulations on your beautiful gifts. Lovely paper.

DollZandThingZ said...

Fantastic & yummy giveaway package! Congratulations!

The triangles are looking good. Love pinwheels and these retro prints. Wonder if any are feed sack fabrics?

Nanette Merrill said...

I cannot believe how beautiful those blocks are turning out. They are stunning. I love them. I love the double pinwheel or whatever it is. The plains look so good with them. And your points!!! Fabulous. I'm jealous. I do terrible points. Congrats on the award. It is so nice of you to mention me. Really. Thank you.

Joanna said...

I love your pinwheel blocks! They are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Dearest Eileen
so that's what its called..pinwheel :D ..thought they looked like windmill actually haha..
I understand you..I too take a long time to write a post, hours at time, organising the photos, the wordings etc. I often wondered how people post daily, really admired them :D

Congrats on your award..much deserved!! You know someone asked me where I got my tote bag from, I said all the way from the US...and they were surprised that they sold batik there haha..

Great package you have, arent blog friends great :D I am just glad to know you..hugs !!

Unknown said...

I love what you are doing with the triangles! Talk about recycling into something new. Not only new but beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product.

How cool is that to get a neat package from NZ just for commenting on her blog. Fabulous!

You are definitely a MUST SEE blog, I am in total agreement with Ulla.

Messy Karen said...

love what you're doing with triangles. after investing your time they will look & feel spiffy mixed with new fabric & new thread. i was paralyzed with fear that i would not be able to write more than a few sentences. & sure that it would take all week to do that. now i find myself saying stop typing you don't have to say any more. some of us. me. just want to see what you're thinking about. & a pic may be all that is needed. one pic & a few sentences - easy peasy. lots of pics & tying them together in a meaningful story - that just takes time. i do easy peasy whenever i can. see how much i've typed. can't decide what to take out. so i'm sending all of it your way.

Browndirtcottage said...

Your pinwheels are FAB!! I recently did some double pinwheel blocks in a "girly" project I am working on. I love your fabric...isn't vintage so fun??!!

Unknown said...

Eileen, I love your triangles- it's neat to see them get a new lease on life. I love your posts and I totally agree with you- it is hard and it takes a long time, but we must like it!