Thursday, May 7, 2009

Some Rummage Sale Finds Today

Each year, sometimes twice a year, one of the big churches up the street holds a rummage sale. I am always one of the first in line, and usually find all sorts of treasures.. I'm sure I've shown you them before. Well today they were holding it so I went up. And thought I'd share my glee with you ☺ This could also double as a Vintage Thingies Thursday post because probably most of the items are considered that.

Remember this? The Spirograph? I remember getting this once for Christmas when I was a girl, and spending hours and hours making the designs. All the little circles and pieces are there except the pens.. (which never really worked well anyways).. and the box was marked a quarter. A gleeful moment!

LOVE the graphics on the box.

I had added that Spirograph on my way out.. but the first room to visit was the craftroom. Not a whole lot this year.. but somebody had cleaned out their cupboard full of trims..
This bag of embroidery floss was the most expensive thing I got. But lots of nice colors!

And I couldn't resist this yarn. Been seeing so much crocheting of granny squares lately.. maybe I'll do something with it. And I thought this was such a pretty shade of blue. Love the lady on the wrapper too..
Lots of scraps of sparkly trims.. I could have used stuff like this when I was making the Christmas Cottage blocks..

And how about this Dutchy looking stuff!?

Ric Rac. Hope you're not all tired of me showing my ric-rac finds. But the best part about these packages are the prices. Hope you can see them all. ☺especially the ones marked "free".


This one was my favorite.. simply because of the package!
There was not much fabric. I did grab a stack of scraps with mostly cheap Christmas novelty prints.. but this one was tucked in between.. and it is what actually caught my eye. anything with girls and flowers is good.
And the last thing from the sale.. these little nakie beauties. I had to wrap them in the first thing I saw to take their picture..

Wish I would have thought to scooch the fabric up so you could see their adorable shoes. Hope I can get around to making them something to wear. I have tons of patterns to make clothes for dolls like these. They are from the 1950's and 60's.

Anyways.. I've been working on my plants all week. Here are some hanging baskets Mr Attic picked out for me to hang on the porch. I thought he did a terrific job! I see the Buckeye horsechestnut tree is starting to bloom!

I got some geraniums planted, but none of them have flowers yet so I'll show them later. And a pot of pansies..

The lavender seeds Melanie sent are just starting to pop up too. I tried for a picture.. but they were still so tiny my camera could not find them. I'll try for those later as well.
And my Lily-of-the-Valley is just starting to bloom. I only have one stalk with flowers.. but there are some more stalks starting to spread around.. so I hope next year there are more.

Think I will head out before it rains and see if I can get some more plants in. My dad is coming up from Florida for a week.. so I will be super busy. Can't wait to see him!
Hope you are all getting some nice weather, or some nice creative time. See you soon!


30 comments:

Annette said...

Awesome finds. How fun!! That Spirograph brings back good memories. I haven't seen that box in years.

quiltingnana said...

I loved reading your blog today...

Nanette Merrill said...

You make me laugh. You managed to put the whole next week of posts into one day - quickly - before you take your leave. How fun. I could sit and look at each picture and discuss the fun stuff. Our plants are struggling. It has been a very cool spring. Yours look lush. The dolls are darling. I KNOW you will dress them up properly and I eagerly await their new duds. They will be gems. The trim is spectacular. How could we ever get tired of rick rack????? The spirograph - yep. Had one. Loved it. So vintage and it tugs at my heart strings to remember those times sitting at the kitchen table with colored pens and trying to make a "perfect" design. I was always too messy or clumsy to come up with something very perfect. But I had fun trying. Love the post. Be off and have a fun fun time.

blushing rose said...

Boy! do I ever remember spirograph. What fun we had with it. Even my children enjoyed this creative toy. And, those dolls ... the rickrack ... flooding with memories. You had a great day ... TTFN ~ Marydon

Ulla said...

You found such great treasures again. Nobody can get tired of ric rac! I'm waiting to see the new dolls in their new dresses.
Have a lovely time with your father!

Betsy said...

wow is all I can say.

Unknown said...

I love Ric-Rac........I have a stash of it.

Coloradolady said...

Well by all accounts you hit the jackpot today! Love the ric-rac and the trims...such a great find. Love that fabric too, very cute!

I would have been right there with you looking for hidden treasures!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Oh I used to sit for hours and make design on my spirograph. You must have a GPS built-in to see out rick rack! Lots of terrific finds but I do love the old packaging labels. Enjoy your visit.

Purple and Paisley said...

you are the luckiest person i know when it comes to rummage sales and thrift shops...the spirograph? my absolute favorite toy when i was growing up! remember how you pinned the plastic things down? i loved my spirograph!

i'm so happy your dad is coming for a visit! have a wonderful time!...maybe you could make him some spirograph pics to take back home with him to hang on his fridge??? ;)

corry said...

What a wonderful treasures you found, I love the two dollies and all the trim and rick rack. The hanging baskets are lovely. So nice to have all the plants out again this time of year. Have a great time with your father!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Lots to talk about today, first, have a great time with your dad, now onto your finds, I loved my Spirograph, hours of fun! Love the Christmas trim, guess you will have to make more houses! I love the fabric you found also, and you can never have to much Rick Rack. I look forward to seeing your two new young ladies, in some wonderful outfits you are sure to create! I cannot comment on you plants because I kill all that I touch!!!

hetty said...

Great finds! I remember that Spirograph. I had one of those and loved it! Your plants look nice. Mine have to wait a week or so more, but I can't wait to start planting too!

Lynn said...

Great finds - it's sad when I remember owning something (the spirograph) and now it's vintage. Love the rick rac and beautiful flowers!

Nancy said...

What wonderful treasures!

I LOVED my Spirograph, but I had forgotten about it until I saw the box in your post. Thanks for the memories.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

woohoo! what good finds! I don't find things like that in NYC....But I will be hitting the antiques store when we get to the cabin for sure!
it's looking lovely with all the flowers!

XUE said...

Hey Eileen! Take me with you the next time you're off on such treasure hunts! And I love the glimpses of yr home - those must be hanging in the front porch? You are so nice in covering up the dolls - naked dolls are a little strange looking! And I do remember the Spirograph so we must not be far from our ages!

Jenny said...

Fab finds! Our rummage sales here are mostly just old clothes and there are not many craft items. What fun! I never had a Spirograph - always wanted one.

Unknown said...

The spirograph was the best thing since sliced bread! I used to love it as a kid and also played hours with it given the opportunity. What a terrific find! Not to mention all your crafty finds. I can't believe all the trims and threads you managed to scoop up. As far as sprucing up the house, you have reminded me that I really need to go get hanging baskets. I usually put 3 in the front of my house, 2 on the porch and one by the door. And 6 on my deck. Then I have gads of window boxes. I need to take care of those too. Lots to do, but it has been so rainy and yucky. The weather really needs to break. Enjoy your time with your dad.

Terry said...

I had a spirograph and I loved it! It amazed me how it could make those cool designs! Great finds Eileen! And your flowers are so pretty on your porch! Enjoy your visit with your dad! :0)

Tine said...

I'd say you found some great stuff! I spent hours drawing those spirograph patterns when I was a kid :)

Dionne said...

What great finds! I never seem to make it to the rummage sale at our church, now I think I must change that! I love that you thought to cover up your little dollies! I'm sure it will be nice to have a visit with your dad!
Cheers,
Dionne

pratima said...

Great finds, Eileen!! The fabric is sooo cute!!!
The dollies would look great in your pretty dresses :)
The blooms are so beautiful. So good to know that the lavenders are showing now :D

Anonymous said...

Excellent finds Eileen- love the ric rac label too. So relieved your lavender seeds are sprouting already. I've never had any luck wth them- must be the acid compost. :-)

Great hanging baskets too. Still suffering from porch envy here. :-)

Tonje said...

You always find such good things on these sales... I remember spending hours on end with my spirograph when I was a kid... so much fun.

Miri said...

Great finds...I remember spirograph :) and the dolls are adorable!

Jean said...

I loved spirograph....so much fun. I have one around here somewhere, but it is my kids' so not so old. And I doubt if everything is there.

Pretty flowers...I went and got a few today, can't wait to get them planted.

Unknown said...

So lucky to get these finds..we hardly have them here..and yes, I remembered when I was younger, we played with that spirograph. I didn't know that's what it was called until now, reading your post. I bought some for the children, they werent so interested...not like during my tiems. Guess, we didn't have much electronics then...I've planted Melanie's seeds but nothing pops out..and now I am a bit worried if they will ever grow. I'll sing to them tonight..on second thought, better not, they'll never grow. haha!!! Big hugs...oh, tks for the email..not going anywhere for the moment, not with the 'flu' floating around...hugs/M

Anonymous said...

Your plants are looking great! And your vintage finds are all so wonderful. You always find such great stuff. I love the little dollies so much! I can't wait to see what you dress them in. x

Bec said...

Some lovely finds at the rummage sale! Nah, never sick of looking at ricrac - esp the 100% cotton stuff. I hate it when I have to buy the poly stuff, it is soo yuk.
The garden is looking great! Your verandah looks lovely with those gorgeous posts.....
Bec xxx