Friday, May 1, 2009

Elephants & Pin Cushions

Yay! I have my elephant baby Quilt top finished and ready for quilting. This was so much fun to make, and I thank Miri for the free pattern.


I have been debating on how to quilt it. It is really tempting to try my new free motion skills out on this quilt.. I am tired of little practice blocks. But I have discovered that I am no good at making shapes.. like hearts. I want to put a heart in the body of each elephant, like Miri did, and then meander around them. But I can't draw a nice heart with even stitches for nothin'!


Anyways.. Happy May Day! It was chilly and raining all morning, but then the sun broke through so I thought I'd seize the moment. I had gathered some of my pin cushions in a box yesterday to take out and photograph, because Janet over at
Quiltsalott was showing some of hers the other day and invited us to share ours too. I looked in the box and realized I didn't have as many as I thought I did..

But see that one very pretty new one in the middle with the pink rose? Well it just came to me today!
There was a package in the mail from Bec, my swap partner for the Time for Tea swap. She had sent me the rest of my swap, which included a second matching potholder, some more Cadbury chocolate, some wonderful coffee, and this adorable pincushion. I love the vintage blue ric rac around the edges. You don't find that color very often. And the way the button sinks it in. ☺ I was so glad to add it to my collection. Thank you Bec! I am going to hate to stick it.. but I have a feeling I will!
~~~

Onward. Of course we all know those tomatoes with the strawberries..


And here is one of my favorites.. I am pretty sure it was made in the forties. I found it at the Good Will store a couple years ago.. (guess I do have a pretty good Good Will come to think of it.)


I use this one a lot even though I shouldn't. It is just so friendly and inviting..
And here is a teensie weensie one made from a bottle cap that my friend sent me for my birthday. So very cute.. everyone that I show it to loves it.
And this one is very very old. It was in my grandmother's sewing basket, but I am sure it must have belonged to either her mother or grandmother. The fabric is brocade.. like you would see on old sofas or cushions. It is full of pins and needles, and a unique sort of bar pin on the underside. I have never removed any of these pins.. and never intend to. It stays in her sewing basket.. a treasure.
Here is a crocheted chair pin cushion with a little place to hold scissors. Another friend of mine sent it to me a few years back. It really could be a doll chair.. but I think it was made to be a pin cushion. Wish I knew where I could find the pattern..
This one is old too. It was in this house when we moved in. I have a lot of sewing stuff from the lady who owned this house, even though I never knew her. Her name was Meta, and I met her once when I was dating Mr Attic.. she was sitting on the porch on her rocking chair with her cats. Then she got very sick, and died before we moved into town. On Jan 5th actually. My birthday. I always kind of felt a special connection to her because of that, and I live in her house. Anyways.. I always thought this was a neat pin cushion.. even though the top part isn't much good for holding pins anymore.
And as you can see.. this is a very popular one here. It is full of pins and needles! A Christmas gift from Ulla. I love the sewing machine printed right on it! And for some reason it's the one I always grab.
I have no idea where I got this one below. It is very old, and made like a crazy quilt.. with silks and velvets. It is packed hard. Maybe cotton.. or wool. I don't ever stick it with pins for fear I'll shred the old fabrics.
And here is one that I made it for a friend for Christmas one year. The pattern was in American Patchwork and Quilting.
Well... that's enough for today. Feels good getting a little bit caught up. But I know that's not gonna last.

38 comments:

annemariesquilt said...

Ohhh what a lovely collection of pincusion you have got and some of them are very old too!!
Your babyquilt is so beautiful and you have done a wonderful job. I love that the elphants is holding ones tale!!
Pretty exciting to free motion quilt it . I wish you the best of luck!!

Lynn said...

The elephants look terrific - love the addition of the flowers and tails. So cute. Enjoyed the pincushion show - that was fun! Jump right in and free motion quilt it. That's what I'm doing now. It's scary - I always feel like I'm going to mess up my top. But if we don't - we won't get any better.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Is your elephant quilt for someone special or just because? It's just so cute. Wow you have tons of pincushions. I can count mine on one hand. Very pretty one from Bec.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The elephant quilt is so cute. You gave each one of those guys their own personality!

Janet said...

All your oincushions have a story. I love the one from your grandmother, so humble and you can tell the use it got.
Good job on the elephant quilt, you could always hand quilt the hearts and machine quilt the rest if you had your heart set on it. (excuse the pun)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

how cute! the elephants are so fun!
love the pin cushions! I have, let's see.... ONE!
;-)

hetty said...

What a great collection of pin cushions! I especially love the old ones. Your elephant quilt is fantastic! I love the flowers! I know it sounds scary, but just go for it and free motion it. It's the only way. I find free motion quilting is very forgiving. When it's all done it will look great and any little cross-overs or wonky hearts won't even show.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I told you that you have a great GW. Your quilt is so wonderful, I just love it. Do you hand quilt? because you could trace a heart and then quilt that, just a thought. I love all your pincushions, we do love them so. thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love the elephant quilt. Adoreable......and all the pin cushions. WOW....i have one, and it's the standard Strawberry. ha

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Eileen! Your quilt is just adorable!! Great choice of fun fabrics.

LOVE that chair pincushion! Tooooo cute!!

xoxo
Becky

Shari said...

Love your collection of pincushions and so nice with all the stories to go with them...

Shari said...

And of course the baby elephant quilt is so sweet too...

Ulla said...

The elephant quilt looks so sweet! I think you should machine quilt it, the stitches will be OK.
You have quite a collection of pincushions, all the old ones are so special with their history.

DollZandThingZ said...

Really love your old pin cushions and see a new one that is a bit familiar. Elephant are one of my favorite images...very sweet quilt!

Rumi said...

Your elephant quilt is too, too cute! What a fun project!
You also have some wonderful pincushions! So many nice stories attached to them.

Allie said...

Your elephants are darling! My free-motions skills are non-existent. I would quilt it by hand for the hearts. Or find someone to do it for me, lol.
Your pincushions are amazing. I LOVE the one with the spools in it, I seem to remember my grandmother having one of those. I wonder whatever happened to it?

Latane Barton said...

Love your pin cushions!! they all are so different and fun. Makes me want to start collecting them!!

Days and colors said...

Your elephant baby quilt is so beautiful! I think your free-motion quilting will be just fine! I love your pincushion collection! I'm addicted to them, in all shapes and colors, the more, the better!

Miri said...

Your elephant quilt is so cute...love that they're holding each others tales or flowers!

You have a wonderful pin cushion collection-its so nice to have a family heirloom pin cushion. I have to say my favorite is the 30s/40s one that holds the spools of thread-how clever is that.

Carrie P. said...

What a great collection of pincushions. Love the crochet chair. Your elephant quilt is so cute too.

corry said...

I love the elephant quilt, great pattern! Good luck with the quilting part...I never did any free-motions machine quilting...looks like it's not that easy to do!

limpingalong said...

Love your pin cushions!
As far as the elephant quilt is concerned, I'm using hearts on a baby-gift quilt that I'm finishing.
Some time back a fabric/craft store had wooden pieces in various shapes (hearts, animals, flowers, etc.,) for 25 cents each. I bought several and am using the fat heart piece to trace around - marking with my disappearing ink pen. After I get them stitched, the ink disappears and I have lovely hearts around the sides. So, find yourself a pattern -- free-hand just doesn't work for some of us!

Nanette Merrill said...

It is hard for me to make shapes too, even though I've been free motion quilting for years. I just don't get the hang of it. Oh well. I love that quilt. Can't wait to see it all cute and quilted/bound. Fun. The pincushions are lovely. Anyone that sews has got to have a collection of them!

pratima said...

The elephant quilt is so sweet! I love all your personal touches on it :D
Your pincushion collection is sooo cute!!!

SG said...

Great pincushion collection! The elephant quilt is gorgeous! the stitchery gives it a personal toutch!

Tonje said...

Oh, what a great collection of pin cushions.

Your elephants look great too... Can't wait to see how you choose to quilt it.

GeeGee said...

I love your elephant quilt and pincushion collection. I have a collection also and never miss an opportunity to add to it. The crochet chair is very unique and I would also love to have the pattern. Perhaps your friend who gifted this to you could steer you in the direction to obtain the pattern.

Lori Holt said...

That is one cute herd of elephants!
I loved seeing your pincushion collection. My favorite is the chair, so sweet:)

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Eileen, your baby quilt is so cute and your collection of pin cushions bring back memories of some my grandmother had. I wish I had a few of hers.
Keep Stitchen,
Bonnie

XUE said...

Hallo from Tokyo! What a great collection of pincushions! I have been making some too (flowers & owls) & was also taking pics of them for my blog...but have not gotten around to posting any!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pincushions. I love the design of the 1940s ish one with the reels in the sides. I also like the bright fabrics you used to make the pincushion in the last piccy.

Perhaps if you drew a heart on paper and turned it into a template to draw around in water soluable pen on the elephants? I did that once and having a line to follow really helped.

Ooo meant to say before- your flower beds are going to look great with that lot. Good luck with the seeds.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the bobbins. I got them yesterday in the mail. And guess what?? They fit! Your such a sweetie.

Dionne said...

I love your pincushions. And your elephant quilt is spectacular! I can't wait to see how you quilt it. The wonderful embroidery you did really sets it off so perfectly.
Cheers,
Dionne

Sherri said...

I love all of the pincushions! Thanks so much for sharing them!

Sarah and Jack said...

I think I am the only person who will say this, but I say do NOT do the free motion quilting thing (if you haven't already). I think it detracts from the linear pattern of the elephants.

Threeundertwo said...

The elephant quilt is wonderful, and I love all your pincushions, especially the old ones. I wish I had the pattern for that cute chair too.

Anonymous said...

Love your elephant quilt top! It's so cute. And all of your pincushions are wonderful. You could open up a pincushion museum! x

Bec said...

What a fabulous pincushion collection!
I am glad you liked the one I sent you. I am sure the chocolate is also long gone by now!
Still love that elephant quilt - it looks so cool!
Bec xxx