Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bobbin in the Attic

I've mentioned before that I don't actually have an attic. The upstairs of our house has always been the kid's rooms.. and they really are like an attic because the roof is slanting and there is nothing above them. There are two rooms.. one that our daughter still lives in, and the other the boys moved out of a couple years ago. They still have a lot of stuff up there, and their beds.. but I've managed to set up my Singer 301 by the window, and I like to use the floor to lay out my patches. I can leave it there and no one has to worry about stepping over it. So this morning I was up there sewing happily away on my Roman Stripe quilt.. string piecing the strips and letting them just drop off the back of the sewing machine table and piling up at my feet..


..but if you look closely.. you might notice something that I didn't.. until about the next to the last patch..
The bobbin had run out. Grr. Now I know the new machines.. a lot of them if not most of them will tell you when the bobbin is about to run out. But this machine was made in the 1950's.. and it does not do any talking.. except to tell me when it needs oil.. so I had no idea the patches were dropping off the back onto the pile not sewn together.

So I guess it was time for a break. I took a walked outside before filling bobbins.. it is like spring! Came back in the house to get my camera, because I certainly did not expect to see anything to take a picture of in the back yard. But looking real hard.. next to the end of that stick... something is coming up amongst the dead leaves and pinecones..

I think I planted some Narcissus here back in the fall.. but I can't remember for sure. I'll have to go look around and see what else might be sprouting already!

Here is what I've got so far on my Roman Stripe. The idea is to have all the lighter stripes going horizantal, and the darker ones verticle. This is one fourth of it.. but don't look too close because I notice I had two blocks turned the wrong way. They aren't sewn yet.. so no troubles..

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend! Our oldest son is here to visit.. and there is nothing really planned. It feels good just to hang out.. drink coffee, eat, and play games. ☺

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, the older machines don't have those wonderful features. I have to say, that is one thing that I just love about mine. It does tell me! Woo Hoo! I used to do exactly what you did, just kept sewing and didn't realize until after I went through a huge stack. The quilt looks fantastic!

It is springlike here today too. I love it! But I am not getting attached, because I know all too well there is more winter on the way. Enjoy the weather while you can! Have a great afternoon.

Betsy said...

Ah Eileen true signs of Spring. I have a few sprouting here too.
I love your Roman stripe.

KittyAnn said...

Oh this one made me chuckle Eileen! I too can get so intent in my sewing that I am oblivious to the obvious! But the moment got you up and outside to the glory of nature, a great thing for the soul. Our weather this past Monday was 25 degrees in the morning, today it was 58 which quickly warmed to 79! I prefer a more gradual change of temps but here in the southeast we never have much of a spring before it's hot summertime. Beautiful quilt, thanks for sharing. Best, Ani

Shari said...

Hi Eileen! That 'bobbin thing' has happened to me too, and I have a newer machine as well. Going outside for a walk was a great idea! So glad you have signs of spring. I know it's been a long winter for you all up there. "Down Under" we are looking for signs of Autumn. Cooler days and best of all - rain! At least here in the West we really need it. And of course Victoria desperately needs it. My friend who lives there says there is still 1100km of fire front to fight - pray for rain! Of course no rain for Queensland - they're flooding!

Love the roman stripe.

Hugs!

Jean said...

That is so frustrating when you feel like you are resewing it all...I like the Roman Stripe...it is looking good so far.

Gari in AL said...

Well, I had to laugh because the same thing happened to me today, too. I have a straight stitch, non-computerized machine I do all my piecing with and, yes, I sewed without bobbin thread, too. Frustrating.

Carla said...

My machine is newer and doesn't tell me about my bobbin. Sure wish it would. Love the new growth. Can't wait to see what it is. The quilt is very pretty!

Ulla said...

The bobbins can make you feel truly frustrated, especially when your carefully paired pieces get all mixed up again behind the machine!
What a promising sign of spring! We still have snow, and will get more, but there is over 11 hours of sunlight already, and that is very nice.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh that happens to me often, regarding the bobbin. LOL* My Machine is only about two years old, but it is an econimcally priced machine (m way of saying cheap! LOL*) and while it has many other fun functions, warning me that I'm running out of thread is not one of them! I do like that it is a drop in bobbin with a clear cover to it so I regularly check...you know it always seems like a bobbin should last much longer than it actually does!

annemariesquilt said...

Spring is on the way at last, well I guess norway is a bit behind still but the snow is gone for the time beeing. We can still have snow all thrue april so I must not be to excited..
At our cottage there is over 1 m snow( 1,1 yard) But the good with the cottage is that we choose to go there.. You have done great job on the quilt you are giving away to your church, I am amazed!!

Sherri said...

Running out of bobbin thread is the worst...especially when you don't notice for a while!

Lily Boot said...

poor you! That is such a frustrating moment :-) - I think a walk was a good idea and how lovely to have found spring amongst the leaves. And your quilt looks BEAUTIFUL!

Days and colors said...

That is upseting, but on the other hand it is so nice to sew with old machines! Your Roman Stripes will be another beautiful quilt, a great give for the church auction in the fall. Betsy McCall is such a pretty doll!

Miri said...

Wow I didn't even know there were machines that told you when the bobbin ran out...always thought that would be a great feature! I was told this winter that my machine was obsolete (and its only 6 years old!) now I believe it!

Love the Roman Stripe-its got a great old-timey (all-timey)look.

pratima said...

Oh no! after all that time you've put into stitching the blocks... what a diappointment it must've been.
So great that you took a break and had a lovely walk outside...
There is nothing like a lazy Sunday to unwind :)

Dionne said...

Oh, I've done that more than a few times. Funny thing is, the machine I sew on most is only a few months old but I still seem to ignore that little flashing bobbin on the screen and happily stitch away oblivious to my lack of progress! Glad I'm not the only one!
Cheers,
Dionne

Anonymous said...

ooo sprouting- Spring must be coming to you! :-)

Ooo yes frustrating! Mine makes a slightly more rattley sound when the bobbin gets low then I keep checking. It doesn't mean to say I don't get caught out though.

Carrie P. said...

Oh boy, my machine doesn't let me know when the bobbin is empty but I have kind of learned that it sounds a little different when the bobbin is empty. Your is looking good.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh gosh have fun this week. I know you love it when your boys come home. Spring is in the air. I hope! I hope some changes are coming. I can hope anyway. I don't have a bobbin reminder either. I hate when that happens!

Tonje said...

I hate it when that happens... my machine doesn't tell me either, but at least it has a see through lid for the bobbin compartment, so if I just remember to glance at it now and then I have a fairly good idea at how much thread is left.

Oh, I can't wait for spring to come. We've still got lots of snow. Thawing one day and freezing the next so it's really slippery outside... won't be long till spring now though... I hope...

Tonje said...

Oooo... I forgot to say that your roman stripe quilt looks great. What size are the strips your using?

Heritage Quilter said...

I feel your pain. Those darn bobbins should come with really loud bells or something.

Got here through Carrie's blog. I enjoy yours too.

Cheryl said...

I hate when the bobbin runs out!! Spring is starting to show up here and there...how nice!!!

Heleen said...

I know what you mean... but the mashine i have now gives me a worning. Yes finaly spring is on its way!!! great to spot that isn't it.

Rumi said...

I can't count the number of times my bobbin had run out long before I realized it! Grrr... very irritating!