Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Not So Flashy

This came from my friend Helen the other day, but this morning was the first chance I've had to open it. I like to do things a lot more ceremoniously ever since I started blogging. But she told me I needed to open it right now because there were things in there for the tree. It is the cutest little bag all stuffed with tiny treasures in every pocket.. and garnished with generous handfuls of ribbons and sparkle. I love that little magnet there that says "clean your room". Helen knows me pretty good. She also sent me this link about taking pictures of Christmas trees...

So that picture above was taken this morning.. and I am just thrilled to figure out how to take pictures of the tree so that the lights are twinkly and everything looks glowy. I set my my old Olympus camera on "automatic" but then turned off the flash. There is a lamp on in the room and the light on the ceiling fan.. that's it. But I think the trick is using a tripod.

Anyways, last week (before I knew about the no-flash thing).. I opened something from Ulla who lives in Finland. I adore Ulla.. and we had such a wonderful time this past summer putting the Summer Stash Quilt Challenge together. Her box was so pretty.. it came in the mail just like this:
There was a present for Hitty! so they all gathered round to see what it could be..
Some fabric for dresses! And believe me.. this is not just any old ordinary fabric. I about flipped when I saw that vintage novelty organdy.. that itself would have been way more than enough to send me for Christmas. Ulla told me it was from a piece that her mother made pinafores for her as a little girl. I can't think of ANYthing more precious. And I have never seen anything like it before.

But then of course there were goodies for me. This little sewing kit and angel all handmade by Ulla...

Pin cushion, zipper case to keep things, and a needle book.. complete with a needle that looks exactly like my favorite needle I have here and use all the time. Now I have two!

And these adorable die cuts from Germany.. aren't these terrific?
An Ulla-made card.. AND one of those amazing Finnish straw wreaths..

Last year I only put vintage glass balls on my Christmas tree.. but getting this new wreath made me dig out some of my other straw ornaments that I had purchased a few years ago from Ten Thousand Villages (but I don't see these angels on their site anymore)..
Each one is playing a different musical instrument.




Look how pretty that wreath is..
So now I'm going to go dig into that bag of stuff Helen sent and find places to hang more ornaments on my tree.

Lots of things to share with you yet.. I'll try and get back here tomorrow. But now I'm off to see what all of you are doing....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Eileen. Isn't Ulla so clever! I love how she gives a little bit of Finland for us to share. :-) her angel is a sweetie too.

Happy bag delving. :-)

Nanette Merrill said...

These pictures are pretty darn amazing Eileen. I cant' believe them. Everything looks studio perfect! Lovely lovely gifts. We are so blessed to belong to a community of women that are thoughtful and talented. I can't wait to see what you do with the fabric. I love the Hitty dolls surrounding the package. Couldn't be cuter. I was thinking what a cute Christmas card that would make.

Carrie P. said...

Your Christmas tree pictures turned out very pretty and such nice gifts you got in the mail. Love those die cuts. So cute.

Lily Boot said...

the tree looks gorgeous! And those die cut pictures are so very pretty - my mum bought me some in Germany as a little girl and I played Anne of Green Gables with them - I was reading that at the time and assigned names to all the die cut children and spent hours acting out the stories. The wreath is so very pretty - I love northern european christmas decorations.

Ginger Patches said...

Your tree looks beautiful!! And what lovely gifts. I like the straw ornaments mixed with your glass bulbs. Those die cuts are the cutest!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I bookmarked the photography site and will go read it to see how I can take amazing pics of my tree just like you did. Absolutely gorgeous!!! How special to receive such treasured fabrics. Your dolls are going to win the prize for best dressed!

Purple and Paisley said...

wow - what special treasures from your friends! i love your hitty dolls and the fabric for the new dresses...

DollZandThingZ said...

Eileen, I am so impressed by your photography! I have visit many blogs and nobody has captured twinkle and lights on a Christmas tree like you have! Truly remarkable photos!

Love your gifts from Ulla and I am glad you like the gifts from me. REALLY glad you finally opened them!

Helen

Shari said...

Christmas sure came early for you! Lovely and special... thanks for the link.
Happy Christmas!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Eileen,
I'm so glad you told us about taking the pictures of the tree. I had no idea.
All of you goodies are such treasures from Ulla, Thanks for sharing.
Have a Merry Christmas,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

I love it here Eileen, and again..you lucky bunny..getting so many wonderful stuff from all wonderful friends. Isnt blogging great and so much fun. I love your Christmas tree, bet it looks even much better in real. And Ulla's package is the prettiest in pink. I've heard about you talking about her so many times, I got to go visit now. Big hugs :D

Betsy said...

Eileen simply marvalous!

pratima said...

The presents from Ulla are so sweet!
Your little hitty dolls are looking very pretty in their Christmas outfits :)
Thank you for sharing tips on taking good Christmas tree pics. Your pictures turned out beautifully!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful gifts!! I think Ulla has your number, she knows exactly what you like. I love what you did with the pictures. I went to the link and thanks. Good tips. Your holiday preparations are making headway!

annemariesquilt said...

Lovely presents from your friends and your tree looks awesome.
I hope you are ok, I am though I am kind of busy. I had my last day at work before christmas today so I am slowly speeding down.
Take care Eileen..