Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Stockings ~VTT~

I haven't played Vintage Thingies Thursdays for a while. I'm usually gone on Thursday mornings.. but ha-ha.. I'm wrote this yesterday and scheduled it for today.
To see lots more Vintage things today.. visit Colorado Lady and find the links.

Here in the US we hang big huge stockings on our mantels on Christmas Eve so Santa can fill them with goodies. When I was little, I would stare at these pages in this story book for a long time imagining finding these things in mine and my two little brothers' stockings on Christmas morning.. (if you can't read the poems.. I think you can click them bigger)..


I never did get that little Tea Set inside the Green Apple. Wouldn't that have been a treasure? And I can't remember ever getting a baby doll or a locket in there either. My mother told us that only very spoiled little children got so many toys in their stockings. Ours were filled with very practical things.. like a new toothbrush, a brush and comb, and some Chapstick. And oh.. usually a Silly Putty egg.. remember that stuff?

What did you get in your stocking?? It would be fun to hear.

Here are some very cute stockings made by Christina... she found the template on A Fanciful Twist.. I think these would make adorable little ornaments.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Eileen I remember we all got an orange each one year . We did get other things as well but the oranges I'll never forget .
Clare's Craftroom

Kellie said...

Such cute illustrations! We got lots and lots of CANDY in our stockings! Sometimes a little gift too...but never a tea set or a doll! I do remember getting a Timex watch that pretended to be a Swatch in my stocking when I was in high school. :D

Susan said...

Good woman, your mom! I did the same with my son and daughter. I made their stockings to fit a coloring book and then added other little practical thingies. Fantastic pages and poem--the illustrations are soooo what I remember.

Anonymous said...

There was always a satsuma in the toe of the stocking. I mainly got practical presents like clothes. What a wanted was a Sindy doll for years (like Barbie) but I only got one when I was 8 I think.

CC said...

We got the older traditional things in our stocking..My mother was determined that my sister and I grew up in the "back in the day" Christmases, so our stockings contained apples, oranges,nuts, ribbon candy,hard candies, and maybe a small toy. All the presents were under the tree.
p.s. I clicked on your friends site and saw those sweet stockings. Even tho Christmas is so near, I want to make some. There's always next yeaar.

Browndirtcottage said...

we used to get apples and oranges in ours....with peppermint candy and whole nuts in the shell...like brazilian nuts and walnuts and such....maybe my brothers got an occasional 'hot wheels car' or something, no presents usually...just things to eat.

Purple and Paisley said...

i always got little necessities in my stocking, too...little tubes of chapstick and handlotion, little samples of perfume...and yes! silly putty in an egg! the poem with the illustrations is darling...☺

DollZandThingZ said...

We, too, received fruit and nuts, candy canes, chocolate, but not gifts.

I did get a tiny tea set more than once but never in a stocking. We DID worry about getting a lump of coal when we were very young!

I made my own daughters fancy stockings and filled them with wondrous small gifts, but I always included fruit and nuts,too.

Such fum memories!

Paula said...

When my mother was a child, they didn't have much money. Her parents were farmers. She always got an orange, an apple, nuts in shells and hard candy. Then each child received one hand made dress, made from feed sacks. And the boys got a hand made shirt. That was it for Christmas.

When I was a child, mother always filled our stockings with the same, but added a few chocolates and necessities like the toothbrush, toothpaste, Avon lotions, etc. We always got clothes and underwear for Christmas and one or maybe two toys.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, what a cute poem. I loved that. I remember we always got a marshmellow santa, and I never could get santa to remember that I did not like them! We always got little things in our stocking...like jewelry, small containters of playdough, stickers....we did not get large things either.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I got a little red wooden apple that opened and there was a tiny tea set inside. I'd forgotten about that...oh do I wish I had that now. We got shiny coins, nuts, apples, oranges, candy and a small toy of some sort...no practical things in our stocking!

JEWELGIRL said...

We usually got a chocolate tree or santa, filled
hard candy, marzipan shaped like fruit, and
a BIG "Bob's" candy cane that would last forever!!!! Happy Holiday! Jewelgirl

Unknown said...

Yes, I loved Silly Putty. It was so much fun. I loved to transfer the comics onto it. Did you ever do that. I thought it was the coolest thing. Okay, you won't believe this, but when I was growing up we did not have stockings. So I never had one until I became a mom and started the tradition with the kids. Now I only get things in my stocking if I put it there... LOL! As you know, the mom does everything.

annemariesquilt said...

So sweet :-))

pratima said...

so cute!! I just adore the illustrations in old books.

annemariesquilt said...

I have given you the Christmas award too....
You are a true friend Eileen !

Carrie P. said...

We got practical things in our stocking too. I do remember silly putty and have actually put that in my kids stockings.

wannabe crafty said...

MY mother still gives us the practical stocking, and we so look forward to it. I never have to buy a new pocketbook calendar, because there has been one in my stocking EVERY year. And i pass the tradition down to my kids too. Everyone needs a new toothbrush to start the new year. :)

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Enjoyed the wonderful illustrations!
My brother and I always got loads of candy in our stockings and an orange thrown in for good measure. Such sweet memories!
Blessings to You and May you have a wonderful Christmas!
Claudia O.

Dawn Castor said...

Like Stephenie, I also had a red wooden apple with a tea set inside it. Once in High School, I found one in a catalog and wanted to buy it but didn't and have never seen one again. Thanks for sharing the poem!