Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kid's Craft Week & Stash Challenge Update

I know I am behind with reading and commenting on blogs, answering emails, and posting the challenge update. But this week I'm running the craft station at our church's Summer VBS program. 40-50 kids come every evening for stories, singing, games and crafts. It is a lot of fun, but also takes a lot of time and preperation.
The first night we made glitter filled key rings, and last night we started making kaleidoscopes. We'll finish those tonight. The "atoms" are balls of playdough with the felt-tipped markers stuck in them. The children were instructed not to play with the dough, and to replace the markers neatly for the next group. They did pretty good, except for one cluster of little boys who were not being watched by their helpers closely enough. I had to remake two of the atoms. But oh well. It's all for fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the past week there has been some WONDERFUL progress on the Challenge Quilts. I know I have really skipped over some because they are getting finished faster than I can keep up with the updates. And I am probably missing some. Let me know if I didn't get yours here, and I'll start another post. It is pretty time consuming trying to keep up with all the bloggers that are involved with this challenge, and try to decide whether or not they are actually working on a quilt for this challenge or for one of the other ones. If it doesn't say "Summer Stash" in the post somewhere, then I don't really know for sure.

Anyways, some are new who have joined us, and just getting started. And some have already finished quilts! It is so much fun to see such enthusiasm. Ulla and I think that everyone who finishes a quilt by the end of August deserves a badge. I'll post more about that later. But for now.. go look and see what everyone is doing!


And for some reason Picasso/Blogger is having some glitches uploading photos. So if mine show up as little x's.. boooo!.. but I hope they have it fixed by now.

11 comments:

Purple and Paisley said...

40-50 kids? lol...you've got your hands full! and little boys just can't resisting touching things with their little hands...especially if they're not supposed to! =)

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having fun with the kiddie crafts. I'll begin number 4 tomorrow- At Water's Edge fabric with some of the stitcheries.

Brill idea using play dough for pen holders. Little ones often forget to replace the lids so this might help too. Perhaps making some from Fimo so they would be permanent would work? Hmm desk tidies.

Now see what you've done! -my brain has gone off on a tangent again. LOL I think I have the attention span of a goldfish sometimes.

Well done for all you are doing.

Nanette Merrill said...

What fun for those kids. I'm sure the moms love you!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hello! Looks like you are having a fun week! whoa whoa!

I just wanted to let you know I finished my little quilt and will posting about it today.

hugs,
Becky

DollZandThingZ said...

That looks like fun! I want to come and join you!

I used to teach art to kids and to Girl Scouts...it is so much fun to watch kids create stuff and listen top their commentary. I LOVE the pen holder!

Helen

Nancy said...

Looks like you are having fun. There is always that one group that doesn't follow directions.

Thank you so much hosting the challenge. It has really been a motivator.

I have awarded you a weblog award and set a link to you. You can find out the details on my blog. No obligation to pass it on, just wanted you to know how much I have enjoyed your posts.

Hugs,
nancy

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

This has been such a fun challenge !! I have posted an update on my blog. It has been a blast watching everyones progress. Have fun with the kids :)

Unknown said...

Dearest Eileen, for a moment, I thought you were kidnapped by aliens HAHAHA!!! no, just kidding, I know you are super busy :) these sure are fun project and so colourful. Hope your photos get uploaded properly later. lots of love and hugs always, happy weekend too :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

This post brings back memories...I used to teach pre-school before I had my own kids. Then I did home day care for a bit. Yikes! Wonder how I did it...I was much younger then!!!

quiltingnana said...

sounds like you are having fun!

An update from me. I have now completed two stash challenges!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love those playdough "atoms" - brilliant idea - makes the table look so inviting!